If you’re reading this, there’s a chance it’s because you’ve received some manner of referral from your general dentist to help out with a further issue. The prospect of braces can seem like a whole lot at first, we know! Smiles of Palmetto Bay wants to give you a headstart before you visit our office and let you know how to prepare for your first orthodontic visit.
What Is An Orthodontist?
This may have been covered by your dentist, but just to refresh:
- Orthodontists (ours are named Dr. Ross and Dr. Iglesias) are dental professionals who focus on the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of teeth alignment and jaw structure. We overgo extensive education and training to address issues like malocclusion, overbites, underbites, and other concerns. The main goals of treatment are overall oral health and function, as well as aesthetic improvement.
Usually, there are three main courses of treatment in an orthodontist’s office, including our own:
- Metal braces are the classic option, traditional and effective for all ages. They tend to also be the best choice financially. We weigh the pros and cons of each option with you in the office, but these are probably the most popular versions overall.
- Clear braces are essentially the same in structure; they are a bit less durable due to their ceramic brackets, as opposed to metal alloys. But they’re an excellent compromise between metal braces and our final option.
- Invisalign is a specialized set of removable aligners that are custom-made in a lab for a patient’s teeth. They are extremely subtle and are usually ideal for adults or teens.
There will always be variables to consider—the severity of the condition, the age of the patient, budget, etc.—but they are all dependable choices.
Preparing for Your Visit
Any time you visit a medical or dental office for the first time, it’s smart to be proactive. Here are a number of ways that you can help make your first visit go smoothly:
- Research and Gather Information: Learn about orthodontic treatments and familiarize yourself with terms and procedures! Our blog and website is a great resource for this. This allows you to ask informed questions in the office. This also extends to researching the doctor in question—check credentials, education, and background before visiting.
- Compile Your Dental History: Previous orthodontic treatment, surgeries, x-rays, and dental records are all relevant. You can have another office email you this information—but only share it with your doctors.
- Identify Your Concerns: Think carefully about your goals for your smile. Your dentist will probably let you know your main issues, whether it’s misalignment or other concerns. We will be able to help you from there.
- Check Your Dental Insurance: If you have insurance, check your coverage for orthodontic treatment and contact the office in question to see if they are in-network. It’s good to be aware of copayments and deductibles beforehand.
- Consider Your Budget: Even with help, orthodontic treatment is an investment. Don’t hesitate to ask us about payment options and plans.
- Bring a Friend or Family Member: If you suffer from dental anxiety, having someone else there is a great way to support yourself during your appointments, especially in the beginning. They can also aid with taking notes or remembering information from the appointment.
- Be Open and Honest: Communicate openly about your dental habits, any concerns you have, and your expectations for your treatment. This helps us to create a comprehensive, personalized treatment plan. We know that being vulnerable about your habits and background can be hard, but it’s imperative for effective treatment.
Your first visit is an opportunity to gather information, ask any and all questions, and determine the best course of action for your orthodontic needs. We are proud to offer you a free first consultation in our office.
More About Our Office
While you’re here, we want to let you know a bit more about us! Smiles of Palmetto Bay consists of two orthodontists and an awesome pediatric dentist named Dr. Garcia. We serve our community with excellence every single time! Here are some highlights:
- We serve all ages. Kids, teens, and adults all face orthodontic issues. We are able to provide customized care to everyone based on whatever issues they’re facing.
- We’re Invisalign experts. Dr. Ross is pretty cool for a lot of reasons, one of them being that he’s more experienced with Invisalign than 99% of other providers.
- We love our community. We love to let our influence extend outside of our office. From fundraising to charity work, we do our best to help out beyond making smiles better.
If you’re interested in treatment, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Palmetto Bay office! You can schedule your consultation by giving us a call at 305-831-7290.