If you just found out you have to add rubber bands to your braces, you might be concerned. Between having to avoid certain foods and removing your elastics for every meal, it can be a lot to handle. However, did you know that they can actually help make the process easier? At Smiles of Palmetto Bay, we want to share the different types of rubber bands and five ways they complement your braces!
What are orthodontic rubber bands?
Orthodontic rubber bands, also known as elastics or ligatures, are flexible rubber loops that Dr. Ross and Dr. Martinez attach to your braces to help move your teeth into place. Rubber bands come in different colors and sizes and can be used for various treatments, such as correcting an overbite or closing a gap in your teeth.
What are the different types of rubber bands?
An integral part of any braces treatment, oties control the pressure the archwire puts on the brackets, affecting the overall pressure on your teeth. At your regular appointments, Dr. Ross or Dr. Martinez will adjust their strength to ensure your treatment is on track.
Power chains are a type of rubber band that is used to close spaces between the teeth. They consist of small pre-cut elastic rings that can be connected, which puts pressure on the teeth and helps move them into the correct position.
Elastics are tiny rubber bands that connect upper and lower braces to move one side of the mouth in alignment with the other. They typically attach to tiny hooks on your brackets and are used to correct overbites, underbites, and crossbites.
How can rubber bands help you get the most out of your braces?
Now that you know a little bit about the types of rubber bands you can expect to encounter during treatment, let’s have a look at the benefits that they offer:
1. They provide extra support: Rubber bands are essential for providing additional support to your braces, which helps ensure that they will move your teeth into the desired position more accurately than without them.
2. They reduce treatment time: By helping shift the teeth faster and more efficiently, rubber bands can reduce your overall treatment time, getting you that much closer to your dream smile!
3. They can help with bite issues: For mild instances of overbite, underbite, or crossbite, elastics and power chains can help correct your bite and improve the overall alignment of your teeth without the need for complex surgeries.
4. They are easy to use: Rubber bands are easy to install and remove, so you can be sure that you can still eat, brush, and floss, quickly replacing them after each time.
5. They may help treat speech impediments: If you have a mild speech impediment, such as a lisp, elastics can help shift your bite and your alignment to reduce it.
Supercharge your smile with rubber bands
Rubber bands can be an essential part of your braces treatment, so don’t forget to take advantage of their many benefits. Smiles of Palmetto Bay is here to guide you through the process and answer any questions, so don’t hesitate to reach out. Before you know it, you’ll be smiling like a star!